AIS VoIP Frequently Asked Questions
3 minute read
- VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) is technology that enables phone service connectivity via IP networks rather than traditional wire-line connectivity. AIS VoIP technology allows businesses of all sizes to have robust calling features, integrated mobile access and efficiencies that often keep costs lower than traditional solutions. Cloud-hosted business VoIP solutions like AIS VoIP scale easily and are often more feature rich than analog telephony with innovative features such as voicemail-to-email , find-me/follow-me and simultaneous ring that can be managed from an online interface.
- With device-agnostic voice calls, data connectivity, conferencing services and unified communication collaboration tools, AIS’ hosted VoIP solution provides enterprise-level performance at an often lower per-seat cost.
Will my AIS Managed VoIP phone system work even if we lose internet or power? Do I need a backup phone number?
- Yes. If you’re using our mobile app, you’ll be able to make and receive business calls on your smartphone during local outages like it’s business as usual.
What is an extension? Is there a difference between a line and an extension?
- Unlike traditional phone system lines, AIS VoIP extensions work by allowing different devices to register with your AIS VoIP Service. As long as your phone is connected to internet it can be located by the phone system, and receive calls at the appropriate extension number.
What if I want to cancel AIS VoIP Service?
- We understand that your phone needs may change over time. However, before you cancel AIS VoIP Service, we encourage you to speak with a specialist about how AIS VoIP might be able to provide what you’re looking for. Please contact your AIS Account Manager or call 844-AIS-LABS.
What if there is a need for Analog POTS lines?
- AIS Managed VoIP supports analog POTS lines using Analog Terminal Adapter(ATA) IP Devices such as the Cisco SPA112.
Does AIS provide internet service? What type of internet connection do I need?
- No, AIS does not provide internet service. To use AIS VoIP, you’ll need an existing high-speed internet connection.
- Each active call using AIS VoIP requires approximately 64 kbps up/down of bandwidth from a DSL, Cable, T1 or Fiber broadband connection.
- The number you receive upon sign-up is your own toll-free or local number. If you have paid for at least one month of service and your account is active and in good standing, you may keep your numbers. There is no charge for transferring out numbers. Your account must remain active and in good standing during the number porting process
How long does AIS VoIP take to activate?
- Your account and phone number are activated immediately and a dedicated Project Manager will contact you within 2 business days to schedule implementation.
As communication methods become more fragmented, office phone use continues to decline but office phone system and service prices have increased in many cases. In designing a robust, reliable, VoIP platform, AIS selected the Asterisk VoIP server software, which is perhaps the most mature and widely deployed VoIP server. Hosting in Amazon Web Services with Geo-Redundant availability zones and connect to the public phone network using geo redundant sip trunks provided by Twilio allows for carrier grade reliability.