AIS VoIP E911 Test Procedure
2 minute read
- call the non-emergency line of the local police department
- ask to talk to their dispatchers to schedule a test. They will tell you their testing procedures. In many suburbs, you can test immediately but the City of Chicago will require you to test during specific hours that vary.
- Stay on the line. If you hang up, they will try to call back.
- Tell them you are running a test.
- Expect to be put on hold. If another 911 call comes in, they will put you on hold once they know you are just testing. Be patient.
- Ask them to read the address they have coming up. If the address matches, you have successfully set everything up.
As communication methods become more fragmented, office phone use continues to decline but office phone system and service prices have increased in many cases. In designing a robust, reliable, VoIP platform, AIS selected the Asterisk VoIP server software, which is perhaps the most mature and widely deployed VoIP server. Hosting in Amazon Web Services with Geo-Redundant availability zones and connect to the public phone network using geo redundant sip trunks provided by Twilio allows for carrier grade reliability.