Adding Devices To AIS NMS
3 minute read
Adding new devices to the AIS NMS
- log in to NMS platform as an admin user
For SNMP-enabled Devices (Most Devices)
- Click Devices gt Add Device
- In the Hostname textbox, type in the Hostname or IP Address of the device to be added.
- In most cases, the remaining default settings should stay the same and you should be able to click “Add Device”.
For Ping Check Only Devices (Comcast Modems, etc)
- Hover over “Devices” in the top navigation bar and click “Add Device”:
- Hostname: ISPNAME modem IP
- SNMP: Change to Off
- sysName: NAME – Location – ISPNAME Modem
- Click “Add Device”.
- If the Device is added successfully, click the Device Link that appears:
- Click the “Notes” tab.
- Paste the ISP Account#, Phone Numbers, and any other related information into Device Notes.
- Click “Save”.
- Hover over “Devices” in the top navigation bar and click “Manage Groups”:
- Click the blue “edit” icon next to Group Name.
- Pattern: devices.hostname
- Condition: Equals
- Value: ISPNAME Modem IP
- Click “Or”.
- Click “Save Group”.
Note: When adding/changing devices to the external poller, you must make the change from the External Poller web interface(same login/pass).
Notes for AIS Managed Firewall:
- For smaller networks, create a Firewall rule allowing SNMP Port 161 UDP access to the NMS portal IP address.
- Then, add the outside IP address of the Device to the NMS portal.
- If the Device has a dynamic outside IP address, then configure dynamic DNS on the device and add the dynamic DNS host name to the NMS portal.
- If there are two firewalls at the same location, configure a separate dynamic DNS host name on each device for redundancy.
- If there are a few devices on the inside network that should be monitored, create NAT rules to NAT a different external port for each device, then specify the unique port number when adding the devices to the NMS portal.
If unable to ping device, but SNMP port is open, do the following:
- When adding device to AIS NMS, check the “Force add - No ICMP or SNMP checks performed” box.
- Navigate to the “Device” page, click “Edit” on the right side.
- Click the “Misc” tab, then change “Disable ICMP Test?” to ON
- Allow for several minutes before AIS NMS will connect to the Device via SNMP only.
For Hosts with Private IPs only:
- If there is a tunnel from the NMS portal to the network, then use the Private IP address.
- If there is not a tunnel setup, then the firewall must be configured to allow snmp through from the NMS portal.
- Use the Hostname to connect.
** When adding servers, follow these steps to allow SNMP monitoring:**
- Install SNMP feature on the server.
- Launch Services and right click on SNMP Service to go to Properties.
- Choose the “Security” tab.
- Ensure the option for “Accept SNMP packets from these hosts” is selected.
- Under “Accept SNMP packets from these hosts” click “Add” and enter the following IP “0.0.0.0/0” if using a tunnel. If you are not using a tunnel enter the URL for the NMS portal.
Last modified April 14, 2021